Friday 24 April 2015

Emotional freedom technique.

I decided to give this technique a go as the healing centre I attend was offering the session half price so I thought why not? I’m going through a tough period at the moment with moving continents and all the emotional baggage that comes with such a big move.

I’ve been going through old photos and have come across ones of my daughter at a young age and it triggered lots of emotions. I have also been breaking down about leaving my daughter and moving away, although I’ll see her still. It’s been a journey of grief since she went to live with her father and another step has been added by myself which will trigger it off again.

Mark Clutton is a hypnotherapist local to my area. Mark uses Emotional freedom technique to help people overcome fears, emotional blocks and problems.

He describes the technique as:-

  EFT is a mix of psychological techniques and  the stimulation of  acupressure points on the body which can result in the alleviation of long held limiting beliefs or physical symptoms.

The technique involves tapping certain points in order around the face, body and hands whilst expressing what is troubling us and affirming our worth. After the tapping there are series of eye movements to do and some vocal exercises. The whole process takes a few minutes. 

The process is probably best done in private as it can draw attention, however there are techniques that can be used in public that aren’t so obvious such as tapping on the knees and with the feet alternatively which will tell the brain to rethink and distract from the problem you have, for example being on a plane or before an exam. 

So far trying the technique at the time of distress seems to lessen the intensity of it and ground me. 

If you want to see what it looks like check out this video

No comments:

Post a Comment